Interview with Schin

Even though I am on vacation, I figure I should post something this week... so why not a nice interview to keep all you out there entertained? Schin is a wonderful artist who creates fantasy art. I have long loved fantasy art, book and RPGs, so I naturally fell right in love with this beautiful shop! Enough with my ramblings, lets get to Schin!

____
Bio:
I'm from Malaysia, but I am currently residing in Las Vegas, US. I have three super cute black moor goldfishes named Moon, Star and Scrimshaw. I have an unhealthy obsession with Marilyn Monroe, and occasionally burst into shopping fits and buy a zillion earrings from etsy sporadically, without warning.

How did you find Etsy? How long have you been selling on Etsy?
I don't even remember how I found Etsy, but I set up and account to buy stuff. After awhile, I set up another account and listed some prints for sale, but I never promoted the shop and it remained stagnant for months. Somewhere in the middle of 2009, I decided to take my shop seriously and I started adding more art, taking better pictures and promoting my shop and the rest was history.

How would you describe your style? Have any other artists etc influenced your style?
I call myself a fantasy painter because I tend to paint anything and everything that enters my imagination. My style has been influenced from all kinds of stuff, from the music I dig to colors of a sunset. I think my work stems from my personality, and as my personality matures, so will my art.

How long have you been creating?
Since I can hold a pencil!

Have you had any mentors, or are you self taught?
I have had formal art training and studied under many different teachers, but I found that I develop best when I force myself to. A teacher shows the door, but it is truly up to the individual to walk through it and experience it.

Do you sell more at one time of year than others?
Christmas season is always a good time, but my sales have fluctuated strangely and I'm not sure how. Also, I sell better when I promote more, so it's a case of no pain no gain.

What is one thing about your creative process that you think most people don’t know?

When I am in a certain mood, I can work very quickly. For example, My Mug was finished in a matter of hours. It was a light, airy picture and presented no problems. Geisha was completed in a few hours too, but only because my computer crashed and wiped out the original file and it was due the next day for class, so I had to rush. I think it turned out pretty well though, considering the pressure I was under. On the other hand, more complicated paintings that take more thought can take me forever.. Butterfly Lover took me weeks!

Do you have a favorite item you have made?
All my paintings are my babies, but I do have a personal feeling to each of them once they are complete. Four Beauties was a breeze.. it presented no problems and was very fun to paint, and it turned out very popular as well and won several awards. A personal favorite has to be Descendent though, only because I like how it turned out and it exceeded my expectations when it was done.

What is the best reaction you have gotten from one of your pieces?
Definitely The Ascension! The first time I showed it to my peers, their reactions were "Oh wow, that is so beautif- wait a minute. Are those.. corpses?" I absolutely enjoy adding hidden things in a painting that subtly changes the story when you look at the painting fully. All these hidden easter eggs are all over my paintings, and I just love hearing peoples interpretations of it.

Comments