Interview with Tramp Lamps

It has been a long time since I brought you guys an interview. I hope to make that up to you this week with two interviews all in one week! Our first dip back into the interview pool is with Tramp Lamps. Her name should clue you in to what she makes... lamps out of naughty lingerie (among other things)! With out further ado... lets start the show!
____
Bio:
I am a Nashville Native who graduated with a degree in Theater & Art in 1996 from Austin Peay State University. Since then, I have filmed a few spots for shows on HGTV displaying crafty ideas and painting techniques. I have worked in lots of different places over the years, such as music stores in malls, art supply stores, scenic design companies & art galleries. I am now a full time self employed artist spending most of my days making lamps and painting.

How did you find Etsy? How long have you been selling on Etsy?
I wandered into an Etsy Shop Called Stumpytown because I found a Chewbacca Keychain there that I had to have. My shop opened in Spring of 2007.

How would you describe your style?
I have always said that my style as an artist is to based in Humor. This was not well received in my Graduate Program, as they wanted me to have a deeper meaning to my work- Humor can be deep in my opinion.

Have any other artists etc influenced your style?
Certainly. I have always been influenced by other artists. I love the work of Luke Chueh, Esao Andrews, and anyone I have listed as a Favorite Seller or item in my Etsy Profile is something or someone who has sparked my interest and perhaps influenced me somehow.

How long have you been creating?
I have always made art of some sort. I started painting when i was 14, but I have making Tramp Lamps Professionally for 7 years.

Have you had any mentors, or are you self taught?
I had fantastic instructors at Austin Peay State University. I craved that type of influence after I was finished with school, so I found a painting Instructor and began studying. her Name is Renee LaRose and she was the best influence for me as an artist in my carreer.

Do you sell more at one time of year than others?
The Holiday Season is always a busy time of year for me, but it seems that a rise in sales always coincides with a spot of press be it online or other media.

What is one thing about your creative process that you think most people don’t know?
Be it a crutch or a bad habit, I love candy - and I find that having some of my favorites around will help me focus and channel my thoughts. Also, I love the internet and viral videos, such as dramatic Prairie Dog, or Double Rainbow. Watching them with my son is a lot of fun. I would say the Internet is a bigger Influence on my work that even I am aware.

Do you make custom work?
Yes- I do leave a lot of the searching up to the customer. I find the more involved they are in the discovery process, the happier they will be with their Lamp. If they provide the garment, they get exactly what they want. Once they find it and send it to me, I will do the rest.

Do you have a favorite item you have made?
I love my Owl Lamps. Perhaps I feel protective of them since they are not as popular as Tramp Lamps, but they are my favorites.

What is the best reaction you have gotten from one of your pieces?
At a craft show in Austin Texas many years ago, I had 20 or so lamps illuminating from my small booth. At first people would look perplexed at what they were, but as they got closer to them and saw that they were indeed lamps made from Undies, the moment of realization was priceless. One onlooker - simply said, “YES!”

Comments

  1. Those lamps are amazing! I love the shop name, too. Very cute! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment