Interview with Dance Sippy Dance

 Once you see Dance Sippy Dance's style, you will always be able to recognize it! This is another shop I 'hearted' early on in my travels across the great landscape that is Etsy, and I am so proud to be able to bring you this interview! Odd, bloody and weird, Sippy fits right in here!

____

Bio:
Eek! I’m really a very boring person, bit of a hermit, a procrastinator, bad house keeper. I live in Calgary with my husband, son, dog and bird. The bird and I share a mutual distaste for each other, I’m sure given the chance she would kill me in my sleep, everyone else gets along.

How did you find Etsy? How long have you been selling on Etsy?
I had decided I was going to try to sell some work on eBay. When I started looking around, the low prices on the artwork caught me a little off guard. I posted a question on a message board, something along the lines of "are you guys really selling your artwork at these low prices? is there something I’m missing?" there was a couple vague responses but there was also one private message, "have you seen etsy.com?" that's all it said. Well, that was about it for me, I think it was four days later when I took a moment and stepped away from the computer. That was over two years ago now.

How would you describe your style? Has any other artists etc influenced your style?
Ha! Schizophrenic maybe? I do mostly dark, weird, art but I also like to do lighter more colorful art for a change every once in awhile. I love the finished product to look like the materials I started with, I like smooshy finger print marks in polymer clay, obvious or unfinished paint strokes, bits of bare canvas showing through. LOL, kind of a whole foods approach to art. That said, if I were capable of photo realistic paintings I might give you a different answer.
I think that all artists influence my work to some degree, everything I see triggers some sort of idea. Tim Burton and Edward Gorey have taken over the part of my brain that used to be reserved for math.

How long have you been creating?
I bounce around when it comes to the materials I use but I can't remember a time of my life when I wasn't drawing.



Have you had any mentors, or are you self taught?
I am self taught mostly, I frequently refer to myself as a hack. I know that is probably not the best way to market myself but "outsider artist" is a little too romantic of a title for me. By the time I am 90 I might be close to being where I’d like to be as an artist. There is a lot of trial and error in my future.

Do you sell more at one time of year than others?
The first couple years it seemed I was backwards of what I was seeing everyone else doing, I was selling a lot in the summer and almost nothing when the holidays were approaching. My sales are picking up right now after a slow summer so, I can't really say I do better one time or another.

What is one thing about your creative process that you think most people don’t know?

I have no defined studio/workspace. I work where I land. Usually on my coffee table but sometimes sitting on my bed, the front step etc. does that qualify as part of the creative process?


What kind of custom work do you do most often? What has been your favorite custom order?
I’m a little picky about custom workman hate disappointing people but it can reeeeeally stress me out. I will gladly do a custom order where the interpretation is largely left to me but when people have super specific requests I usually decline.

Do you have a favorite item you have made?
"Clockwork Orville"(in my sold items) would have to be high up there. I love the paper mache items and wish i could do them more, they are just so time consuming. he was definitely a bit of a rock star for my shop and even better he now belongs to loopyboopy, who is one of my favorite artists. in general, i do grow really attached to a lot of my pieces in a corny artist kind of way.



What is the best reaction you have gotten from one of your pieces?
any reaction is a good reaction. i get a real sense of satisfaction when someone really hates or gets offended by something i've done. i am equally as satisfied by someone professing thier love of an item. i don't get to see a lot of real life reaction to my pieces because i am very comfortable hiding behind the computer screen with my little creations.

Comments