Interview with Brooksbot75

Brooksbot75 is about more than just metal bras! Learn more about this man who bend metal to his own will while creating beautiful wearable works of art. Heck, I think the first picture will at least get the straight male demographic who peruse my blog to keep reading!


__
Bio:
Location: Highland lakes region of Texas.
Pets: 1 prairie dog, 1 cat, (both fixed)
Favorite colors: Black, silver
I love art, science and electro-mechanical problem solving. 

How did you find Etsy? How long have you been selling on Etsy?
I was told about etsy several years ago and met some of the etsy people at the first Austin Makerfare but it took me another year of struggling before several people reminded me about etsy. I finally set up my shop in
March of 09. I started out trying to sell my wood sculptures because I still had not worked out a good way to do the bra size fitting online. Once I set up the sizing guideline set up, everything else came together.

How would you describe your style?
A friend once described it as Cyber-Goth which works for me but I have also been merging my fashion stuff with my robo-mecha stuff to create something more for the Steampunk fans. I have several bras made of laminated wood that look really cool but they are so time consuming to make I never tried to sell them because they would be way too pricey for most.


How long have you been creating?
I have been creating all kinds of art and just plain weird stuff since I was 8 years old. In 6th grade I started making jewelry from some copper wire my (personal hero) dad brought home from his rocket scientist job. I worked for my cousin one summer where I learned how to do inlay and marquetry like the Italian masters. He also gave me my first jewelers saw and good quality wood carving and engraving tools.

Have you had any mentors, or are you self taught?
My cousin James Strickland is my earliest mentor but I've been inspired by many artist including Austin local Steve Brudniak.

Do you sell more at one time of year than others?

The fashion stuff gets really busy in the months leading up to BurningMan and Halloween and sometimes the RenFests.

What it is about metal that you enjoy working with it so much?
The best part of working with metal is the ease of shaping and finishing. Also the variety of finish textures give me lots of options.

What is one thing about your creative process that you think most people don’t know?
Most probably don't realize that most of the design process is driven by the functional details of providing the right support and coverage without making them too bulky or clunky looking. Another issue is making a design that can be somewhat adjustable. To that end I am developing a new line of "KIT" bras that will include several different sized parts that can be assembled in different ways. The hardest part is dealing with the fact that there are no 2 breasts exactly alike...even on the same person(well.... except for the fake ones).

What kind of custom work do you do most often? What has been your favorite custom order?
My most common custom order is the deluxe wire bra and it is one of my favs. I like doing custom etchings as well.

Do you have a favorite item you have made?
That would be the full length beadchain corset which I spent about 1 hour per square inch to make.


What is the best reaction you have gotten from one of your pieces?

Most everyone seems to love them and I sometimes get kisses.

To see more on all the strange roads Brooksbot75 travels checkout this site!

Comments