Interview with Frantic Meerkat

I have to apologize to Frantic Meerkat. They were nice enough to answer all my questions quite some time ago.... but somehow the convo go buried in the craziness that is my convo box. I hope they can forgive me, cause they really are quite a cool shop!
_____

 Bio: I grew up and went to college in Illinois, but have been living in Los Angeles for the past five years. I finally couldn’t take the cold winters any longer. I majored in art in college and was always a painter and photographer, but supported myself with graphic design jobs over the years.

How did you find Etsy? How long have you been selling on Etsy?
I found etsy through a friend who said I should start a shop. I finally did in May 2007, but it didn’t really take off until January 2008.

How would you describe your style? Have any other artists etc influenced your style?
My style has been described as quirky, odd, weird, and funny. I can’t say that any specific artists have influenced me, but I’ve always been drawn to old books and vintage clip art.

How long have you been creating?
Like most artists will say, since childhood. I got my first oil painting set at age 12.

Have you had any mentors, or are you self taught?
I studied painting, graphic design and photography in college.

Do you sell more at one time of year than others?
I sell a lot for Christmas--the magnets make good stocking stuffers, but what surprised me was how much many Valentine cards I sold in January and February.

What is one thing about your creative process that you think most people don’t know?
That nowadays I have very little time to actually create. Since quitting my day job in May, I’ve done so many craft shows and we have a lot of wholesale accounts, that I seem to try to catch up on bookkeeping when I have a spare moment. I need to learn to schedule some creative time.

Do you have a favorite item you have made?
It changes, but currently it’s my “Why Women Pine For Distant Men” card. It has vague references to Colin Firth and the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice, which not a lot of people will get, but the ones who do really like it.

What is the best reaction you have gotten from one of your pieces?
I had someone who had me do their wedding invitations with my “Dog Pops the Question” comic card. Her fiance and the wedding guests loved it.

Comments

Post a Comment